Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dusty Plains: A Special Excerpt

Summer Days
The main character for this puff is Blossom Sakura, she was introduced in my rainbowcy, Dusty Plains.

------


*Beep*



*Beep*

I heard the whispers in the hallway and closed my eyes tighter. "Four to six weeks, no the treatments weren't effective..." The doctor's voice caught in his throat, "There's nothing else we can do..."

Paco's breathing had changed as well; was he feigning sleep as I was? "The time has come Mrs. Sakura - your daughter..." He cut off abruptly and for a few short moments there was silence, followed by a soft knock on the cold metal door.

Time has come, what's done is done



I fell against Paco's chest as soon as the doctor left. I'd known before he came in, I known for months.

It's time to move on
To another place, another space,
maybe circling some other sun


"I don't want to die here." I whispered. He tensed up, unable or unwilling to accept my fate. "If you could choose anywhere to die, where would it be?"

"I'll take care of it Ms. Blossom." he said softly, kissing my forehead. If I could have chosen my family, I would have chosen Paco.

Don't ask why, don't ask how
I still can't explain


Convincing the doctors was a little more difficult but the first mention of bad press and they stopped shoving hospice care in my face and released me with a tearful goodbye.



To say goodbye, goodbye for now till I see you again

In the sunlight that's where I'll be


The beach ball bounced to a stop next to my lounge chair and I looked over toward the group of tourists on the beach. One of them was nudged in my direction to retrieve their wayward ball.



"Sorry about that." he said with a goofy grin. He lingered there, the ball all but forgotten and I smirked at him. "Oh, I'm sorry...again..."

"Don't worry about it." I said. "You vacationing here?"



"Uh, yeah - we're here for the month." he glanced back at his friends.

I smiled. "Funny, so am I." I said dryly. He couldn't know the truth behind the statement and just smiled back at me. "You should get back to your friends, they look impatient."

"Right..." he said as I stood under the pretense of adjusting my umbrella. "Look, we're going to the bar tonight, I don't suppose..." he looked back at his friends a few times and then back toward me.



"Sorry, busy." I said. "But thanks."

"Right of course...pretty girl like you...I'll just...go." he fumbled over the words and then turned and darted away, the ball still sitting beside my chair.



I thought that would be the last I saw of him but he came back again and again, looking more and more like a wounded puppy when I said no each time.



"Just take a walk with me around the lagoon...least you can do for sending me back to my friends without the ball." he had a way of charming me with a simple smile.

"It's not my fault you forgot it." I said with a laugh, but I relented.



The sun started to set and I reached for his hand to stop him, by chance we had the best view on the island.



But his attention wasn't on the sunset.



Perhaps if I were a better person I would have stopped him, told him the truth.



"I shouldn't..." I whispered.

"Why not, it's summer, we're on an island in the middle of the Berry Sea..." he smiled at me, he charmed me, he won.



In the moon night close your eyes, you will see me
In the sunrise in the twilight
I'll be the morning and the evening star








I will be there with you wherever you are

The days and nights were filled with each other; each day a little closer to the end. He would go home soon, he never had to know the truth.





Life is strange, such joy and pain

It came on suddenly that night - the pain and nausea I'd been able to hide from him for all the days past. I left him alone as I ran for the bathroom and lost myself to the illness. I slumped against the cool metal walls of the stall, waiting for it to pass as it ought to. But it didn't.



I felt his strong arms around me when consciousness returned and I was comforted by his grip. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he never once let go as he returned me to my house.



There was a scuffle and raised voices as he and Paco argued. Paco tried to wrest me from his arms, ever my protector and confidant but Logan was the one to lay my head on the pillow. Logan was the one to kiss my forehead that night.

"What happened?" Paco's voice was low but demanding.



"She wasn't feeling well, I found her passed out in the bathroom..." Logan stammered.

"Did she drink any alcohol?" he started firing questions at Logan and I tried to move, I tried to get up and defend him but my legs weren't listening to my brain at that moment. After several minutes of silence Paco was defeated and exhausted, it must be exhausting caring for the dying. "She's..." I felt his eyes on me but didn't dare open mine, "She's sick...I worry about her..."



"Sick? What kind of sick?" Logan sounded nervous and frantic. Was he looking at me now too? Searching for boils or something?

"The kind of sick that doesn't get better." Paco was walking away as he said it, leaving Logan dumbstruck no doubt.

The betrayal and the kiss
It maybe meant to be, maybe destiny
Leads us down a path like this




I found him watching the sunrise and thought about turning back. My foot snapped a twig and the noise sounded like a gong but he didn't flinch or turn. "Don't leave." he said softly.

"I'm sorry," I said coming up beside him. "I should have told you..."

"Yeah, that would have been good." he said, a tiny smile playing on his lips. "Why didn't you?"



"Because I fell for you...and didn't want you to hurt when you went home.." tears were flowing freely down my face and he gently kissed them away.

true love is sworn
All the in-between
Well you walk on, walk on until the path is gone
Learning love is the only everything


I don't know which one of them called her and I tried to act annoyed but Violet's reappearance in my final days was a blessing. I'd cut just about everyone out of my life without explanation when I was diagnosed, Violet included. It's a wonder she didn't hate me.





So it's goodnight, things go wrong



but it's alright



We're all just passin' through here



At the speed of light



I will be there with you wherever you are

Fin

**Lyrics from "Wherever You Are" by Celeste Prince**

5 comments: