Saturday, August 22, 2009

Anya

Anya: House Guest

Spencer's stay with us felt like it was rushing by. He met me backstage after the concert with a dozen roses and a long kiss. We were still getting to know each other and spent many of the nights curled up on the couch talking (and kissing) and telling stories about ourselves (and kissing). Tessa had been asked by Tyson to write his biography and agreed before the whole beach scene so she was busy and seemed more and more like an invisible roommate. But I couldn't really blame her. The day before Spencer was going to move into his apartment he got a call saying it wasn't ready quite yet and would be delayed three or four more days. When I left for work that day I felt giddy that he wasn't leaving and my mood was even better when I was pulled aside by the boss who offered me the conductor position. I was ecstatic when I bounded into the house. I knew Tessa was out since her car wasn't in the garage and went in search of Spencer to share my good news and mood.

"Spencer?!" I called.


I found him shirtless and sweaty...again. Yum! I took a minute to recover my speech and grinned. "Guess what? I got the conductor position" I said practically bouncing on the spot.



"That's great Anya!" he said giving me a big hug. "We should go out and celebrate this weekend."



"Let's go celebrate now" I said smiling.

"Ahn, it's already after 11 - I don't think much will be open around here." Spencer said practically.

"We don't have to leave the house to celebrate." I said taking his hand and leading him through the house.



I guided him to my room and invited him to relax on the bed with me with a wink. He laid next to me but looked ready for me to change my mind.



Before he could ask if I was sure or ready, I leaned into him and started kissing him....





The promotion happened to come with a day off so we spent most of the day in bed together. I think Tessa came home pretty late (maybe she wasn't working on that bio anymore?) but we didn't see each other much that day.



Eventually, we heard a light tap at the door and scrambled a bit before I called "Come in!"

Tessa stepped in and seemed to look everywhere but at us. I think the goofy grins (and the fact that we were half naked and still in bed at 4PM) gave us away. "I need a favor" she said to the ceiling.



"Okay, what?" I asked.

"Promise me first." Tessa said with a smile.

"I'm not going to promise if I don't know what it is..." I replied laughing.

"Please? For me, as your BEST BEST friend...." Tessa said knowing I'd cave.

"Okay I promise." I said looking at Spencer with a laugh. I was in an agreeable mood.

"Good, I have a date and he's bringing a friend. I know you two are...well I don't know what you are but still - just come keep his friend company? Please! Just as a friend. You can never meet the guy again...." Tessa was starting to ramble and I stopped her with my hand and looked to Spencer.

"You don't have to ask me." Spencer said with a smile.



"But I'm cool with it. She's your best best friend." he added with a wink.

I leaned over to give him another series of kisses. Behind me Tessa cleared her throat and when I didn't look at her she spoke up "So is that a yes?"

I said "yes" against Spencer's lips which muffled the response but she understood me and excused herself. She poked her head back in after a moment "They'll be here in an hour..." she said and closed the door. I giggled and resumed kissing Spencer.

I had to rush to get marginally presentable for my fake date when I realized the guys would be here in less than ten minutes. Spencer snagged my arm and pulled me close to him. "I know we haven't talked about this but will you promise me not to, like, fall in love with this guy tonight and rush off to Vegas and marry him?" he said with a chuckle. He got serious and continued "I like you, I think I love you and I don't want to share you with fake date....or anyone else."

"I think I love you too and would very much like the chance to find out." I said with a goofy grin. "I promise not to fall in love with fake date and rush off to Vegas. I'll be home tonight and we can continue where we left off." I said wrapping my arms around his neck.



Tessa's date turned out to be Mr. Muscles from the speed dating. I later found out they'd been spending a lot of time together while I was busy with Tyson and then Spencer. His friend, though cute and scruffy looking, didn't stand a chance with me that day and I think he realized it. But we got along well and chatted during the picnic. It was going fine until I spied Tyson approaching us. "This can't be good" I said looking past fake date's shoulder to Tyson.



When Tyson joined us at the picnic, I opted to ignore him. I didn't want another scene and I really had liked Tyson before he showed up everywhere I went...


As the sun set, Alexander and Tessa were quite happily entangled with each other and Tyson had disappeared. I was chatting with fake date when I looked over and saw Alexander holding a diamond ring out to Tessa! My eyes went wide with shock (clearly I suck as a friend if I didn't even know she was seeing Alexander, let alone on the verge of marrying the guy!).



They got married right then and there with fake date and I as the witnesses. It was a beautiful little exchange of vows (although I want something bigger and my mom would shoot me if I cheated her out of a wedding).



I gave Tessa a hug as they finished their vows. "Congratulations Tessa! I'm glad I was here." I said happily.

"I'm glad you were here too" Tessa said. "I know I didn't tell you about Alexander but...well we were both so busy." she said with a laugh. "And it's not really important. You were here tonight! Thank you for coming."



Tessa and Alexander went back to his house for the night, they'd be moving together to a new house across town over the coming week. I said goodbye to fake date and drove him to his house before heading home. I found Spencer playing fooseball and joined him. "Where's Tessa?" he asked without looking up as he focused on the ball.

"Married." I replied almost casually.

He looked up and let go to the handles. "Huh"

I took a swing at the ball while he was distracted. "Goal!" I said and looked up. "She's married!"



I walked around to the other side of the table to stand next to him. "Her date, Alexander, proposed tonight and they got married right there in the park! Seems they've been seeing each other since the whole speed dating thing."



"That's great!" He said and paused "Right? It is great?"

"Oh yeah! It's wonderful! I'll miss her because of course she's moving out but I'm so happy for her. She's all glowy and now know why she's been writing romances." I said with a laugh.



"So what did you do while I went on my fake date?" I asked happily entwined in his arms.

"Oh not much, I went shopping." he said as he laid a kiss on each cheek, each side of my neck and eventually my lips.

"Shopping?" I asked. "What for?"

"Oh just stuff..." Spencer said still busy kissing various parts of my neck and face. "Ya know, I was going to wait....plan something big...."

My brain tried to follow what he was saying but his trail of kisses distracted me so I think I just muttered a bit in response.

"But given tonight's events, it seems to be a sign or something." he said and suddenly pulled away from me. I tried to pull him back into my arms but he resisted. He got down on one knee and pulled a velvet box from his pocket.

"I....uh....Spencer?" I started to say, stumbling with words or coherent thought.

"Anya...I know we haven't known each other that long but every kiss feels like I've been kissing you forever and like I should be kissing you every day. When we're apart I ache to be with you - even if we're doing to different things. I like the way your forehead crinkles when you're thinking of something. I love the way your eyes glisten like you're about to cry when you perform at work. I love the way you burned the waffles the other morning even though you make wonderful waffles because I distracted you. I can't imagine leaving this house in two days for an apartment I now think feels empty even though it will have all my stuff in it. It just won't be home - you are my home, if you'll have me." he paused and I could feel my eyes glistening just like they do while at work - unshed tears of joy and happiness. "So, Anya, will you marry me? Will you love me? Will you be mine, utterly and completely?"



"Yes." I said trying not to cry. "Definitely yes." I said again as he slid the ring onto my finger.



I jumped into his arms and wrapped my arms tightly around his neck.



When he set me down on the floor I gazed into his eyes and couldn't help but glance at the ring behind him. "I love you Spencer."

"I love you to Anya." he said


No comments:

Post a Comment