Monday, September 20, 2010

Taffity Family Legacy

Generation 4, Chapter 4

I stayed at the hospital for a few days after the c-section. For all the time I'd spent there before the babies were born, you would have thought I would have been ready to leave but the thought of leaving my girls behind broke my heart.



It took some time before I was able to even touch them; let alone hold them. But after a couple weeks, the nurses handed me a set of scrubs and allowed me to feed Ezri - she was the strongest of the three and had fewer set backs.



Annika had a weaker immune system than her sisters and seemed to suffer from every little germ that got near her. Kira's lungs were the least mature of the three; for the first few weeks she would forget to breathe on her own so she had more wires and tubes connected to her. It was heartbreaking to see them like that but the first time my parents got to hold them was a wonderful day.



The nursery that I thought would be just perfect for my baby now needed at least two more cribs. Since that much had to be done, Mom decided that we should completely redecorate the room. With the babies stuck at the hospital, I gave in to her suggestion and together we started painting the room, building the new cribs, putting down new carpet.



I felt like I was going out of my mind any time I was at home and away from my babies. Not only was Scotty still being held but the girls were stuck at the hospital. When I wasn't at the hospital, I filled my days with mundane chores.



And of course keeping up with my garden. It had suffered in the months I was stuck in the hospital and needed a lot of tending to get it back in order.



Ezri was the first of the girls to come home. I was happy to be able to show her her new home but it was a bittersweet day. Scotty should be here to welcome his daughter home too. It was one thing for him to be missing their lives while they were in the hospital - I was missing much of it as well during that time.

"Look at your room Ezri, Grandma and I made it just for you and your sisters." I cooed at her as I laid her in her crib. "Hopefully Annika and Kira will come home soon too."



I realized early on that Ezri liked the outdoors almost as much as I did. We bought her a portable bassinet so that she could be outside while I worked in the garden or hung the laundry. She would coo happily as the clouds rolled over us and seemed to be soothed by the sound of the nearby ocean waves.



Annika came home next; she'd been delayed by a cold she had to fight off before the doctors would release her.



Kira had to stay the longest. Her lungs were still trying to catch up to where they should be for her age. Thankfully I had Mom and Dad to help with the two at home so I could still see Kira often at the hospital. Still, with two tiny babies at home, it became harder to split my time between them.



Finally, a full three months after they were born, I had all my girls at home and nestled into their nursery. They were all on completely different schedules so Kira liked to cry while the others slept; thus waking them up.

After a couple weeks of pretty much no sleep, I had to figure out a way to get them on the same routine. By pure luck, I discovered that playing the guitar tended to help them drift off to sleep if they were fed and changed before hand.



Once all three of the girls were home and in a routine - time started to fly by. I didn't have much time to watch the news; probably just as well. Dad was almost never home.

Soon their first birthdays had rolled around, I couldn't believe it had been a year since they were born...and over a year since Scotty had been taken. I forced a smile on my face for the girls and Mom helped me make them each a cake.



"Mom, where's Dad? He said he'd be home for the party..." I asked.

"I don't know dear, you know how busy he's been lately..." she trailed off, not wanting to upset me today of all days.

"Well...let's just get started." I said a little sadly. We'd decided to just have a small family gathering for the triplets because the last thing I wanted was a bunch of people I barely knew walking on eggshells around me.



I took Kira to her cake first and and bent to light the candles. When I straightened up, there was Dad...and Scotty! I swear I almost dropped Kira on the floor when I saw him. If she hadn't started fussing at that moment, I think I would have forgotten about her and the cake completely.



I rushed through blowing out candle for her and put her down before running into his arms. "Is it you? Is it really you?" I asked touching his arms, his face, his recently buzzed hair.

"Yeah it's me." Scotty said holding me tightly.

I was sobbing as he kissed me all over. I couldn't believe he was finally home. There were so many questions on the hows and whys but all that matter was that I had him in my arms.



After awhile, I forced myself out of his arms as I thought about the birthday party. I picked up Kira and put her in Scotty's arm. "This is Kira" I said, wiping away happy tears. She reminded me a bit of my sister Kaylee with the black hair. My mom saw it and half chuckled, half grimaced. There was always one...



Annika and Ezri had to celebrate their birthdays still and I brought each of them to the cake with a new found joy. Scotty cheered with every ounce of his being.



Annika had my hair color and my eyes - so far she was a mini-me.



Ezri also had my hair color but she had her daddy's bright blue eyes. She snuggled against him as if they'd never been apart.



End Chapter


Outtakes


All three home


Gardening at night because the babies are all home


Close up of two of the triplets

1 comment:

  1. Aww, so sweet. Glad Scott made it home for the birthdays. Triplet - such a pain. :)

    ReplyDelete